Skip to Content

Acinic cell carcinoma to parotid gland in 1988

Posted by dmc1025 @dmc1025, Oct 5, 2017

Hello, I am happy to stumble upon this site. Long ago, at the age of 30 in 1988 I was diagnosed with a tumor wrapped around the tail of the parotid gland. Surgery concluded it was acinic cell carcinoma and was followed by many weeks of radiation. While I am in complete remission, and no longer seek follow up care, I wonder about the longlasting effects of radiation on the rest of my body. I have had more than my fair share of dental issues and continue to this day with dry mouth and a burning sensation on my tongue. Have tried over the counter sprays, gums, candies and occasionally Nystatin swish and swallow for thrush. Just wondering if this issue ever completely resolves and if not, what suggestions others have to alleviate the discomfort. I've recently begun sort of an obsessive crushed ice chewing habit.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head and Neck Cancers group.

My wife finds that Magic Mouth helps with the dry mouth symptom.

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff...much appreciated. Didn't think of that.

Hey D - I'm about ten years out from radiation and chemo for sinus cancer and I still suffer from the lingering effects of radiation. Unfortunately there is no time limit on latent radiation damage. But at least we're still around to complain about it!
For dry mouth during the day - Biotene makes a line of products including mouthwash and chewing gum that may help. Also sugarless gum, any containing xylitol, an artificial sweetener, which is known to help produce saliva. There are actually several products out there like Xlear gum made especially for dry mouth.
Keep some sugarless candies that you can suck on but don't bite down on them - if your saliva is compromised then your teeth are prone to cavities, chipping, and breaking. Who knew spit was so valuable? 🙂
Keep bottles of water handy even by the bedside.
Rinse your mouth with a mixture of 1 cup water, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp baking soda. Do this several times a day.
I've read about Xerotin spray which can be used during the night. I'm not sure if it's prescription but talk to your radiologist about it. There are several similar products.
For thrush, have a spoonful or two of yogurt daily to prevent it. Avoid the ones loaded with sugar - I favor Fage for that reason. Just a plain yogurt is fine.
If you do come down with thrush, I've found exceptional success with Orithrush-D. Dilute it in bottled water and use it as a mouthrinse. This has worked for me when prescription products didn't.
DON'T chew on crushed ice. It may be soothing but if you want to continue, just let it melt in your mouth. Don't bit down since your teeth are vulnerable.
If there's any other help I can offer, please let me know.
- The Other Jeff

Jeff,
Great response!
Carol

dmc1025,
Places like Walmart sell ice shavers. They're inexpensive and the ice is like snow. I was taking medication that made my mouth dry and made a bowl of shaved ice with a little water mixed in so it would feel more wet. I'd eat it with a spoon while online or watching tv. There's no tooth damage.
Carol

Carol: OMG thank you for your response. I didn't realize ice shavers were available. I'm off to Walmart today to get one for sure. My crushed ice obsession has become out of control and I know any minute one of my many teeth, crowns or fillings are going to retaliate. It doesn't help that I have a crushed ice machine right next to my work area! I must learn some self control and maybe the ice shaver will do so. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Diane

Please sign in or register to post a reply.