Skip to Content

The Dental Side Effects of Head and Neck Cancer - Have You Been Warned

Posted by Drummerboy @drummerboy, Jan 21, 2018

When I was diagnosed for the third time, with head and neck (right tonsil) I was not given any warning, advice, counseling at all about the side effects to come with my teeth. After 25 radiation treatments to the neck, my teeth proceeded to fall out over the course of 2 years. They chipped, broke, wore down like horse teeth, literally fell out, etc. I asked the Oral Surgeon at Vanderbilt about having them removed and was told that since I had radiation that I would now have to have HBO, Hyperbaric Oxygen treatments, 30 of them, at 1.5K each. I couldn't afford it and insurance wouldn't cover it. I eventually had them all surgically removed and luckily didn't have any more problems. I wrote an article to warn and educate about the hidden side effects of radiation for head and neck patients. You can read it here>> http://bit.ly/XmCkBe

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head and Neck Cancers group.

@esther2k5

No, my SCC was on side of tongue. Biopsy was definitely not pleasant but it was quick and bearable. I knew it was absolutely necessary.

Jump to this post

Thanks for info. Mine is in back of tongue and my swallowing hurts. I go for biopsy thursday.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.