Skip to Content

Prolonged reaction to radiation treatments

Posted by RobinLea @robinlea, Aug 2, 2017

I had 8 weeks of Herbitux chemo and 7 weeks of radiation treatments for my tonsil cancer. Treatments ended 11 weeks ago (May 17th). My throat is very swollen and that along with the pain in my mouth, makes eating very difficult. My chemo and radiation doctors expected me to be better by about the 7th week after treatments ended. Now when they examine me, they just shake their heads saying they never saw anyone with such a prolonged reaction to the treatments. I was a little better a month ago than I am now. I thought the recovery would be linear, meaning I'd get a little better each week. I have instead experienced ups and downs. Is my prolonged reaction to radiation really so out-of-the-ordinary?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head and Neck Cancers group.

I'm 5 yrs out I'm still not right my cancer was in my tongue I'm nauseous everyday all day long I have chemo brain ,I have autonomac body disfunction,yes I survived but I'm not living if that makes sense I only wish you the best and yes I still have severe pain in my face and eyes and neck and my treatment was at Vanderbilt

Have totally different type of cancer, brain, BUT. I am learning that even good doctors don't seem to connect with some of the log term effects and it has be a long time for me and still have some side effects. So don't feel like you are alone with that. Somes I have looked at American Cancer Society and looked for side effects and have gotten some good info. Take care, Bless you and hope it starts to go away soon.

@lindal

Have totally different type of cancer, brain, BUT. I am learning that even good doctors don't seem to connect with some of the log term effects and it has be a long time for me and still have some side effects. So don't feel like you are alone with that. Somes I have looked at American Cancer Society and looked for side effects and have gotten some good info. Take care, Bless you and hope it starts to go away soon.

Jump to this post

Geesh, frequently get a word a little off.!! Oh well.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.