Skip to Content

Post treatment moral support

Posted by MommyJD @mommyjd, Jan 10, 2018

Stage 4 throat cancer survivor.,. 2 years post treatment. Here for morale support!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head and Neck Cancers group.

I appreciate that. I begin chemo today and radiation tomorrow for squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsil, with spread to adjacent lymph nodes.

Best to you. Where are you receiving treatment?

University of Washington Medical Center

Ha ha...that’s where I went

I was referred there by my lymphoma oncologist at SCCA. Dr. Rodriguez is my head & neck oncologist. I've only met her once. Dr. Liao is my radiation oncologist.

The feeding tube was a lifesaver for me..although I hated it. I also found peppermint oil to help with any nausea...I just sniffed it out of the bottle.

Good morning - Glad your still here. I'm stage 4 - three years post treatment. Everyday is truly a gift. I have definitely been blessed the last three years. So many things I would have missed if I had gone when they predicted I would. I'm off to the gym this morning. Embrace the day.

@beakmom

I appreciate that. I begin chemo today and radiation tomorrow for squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsil, with spread to adjacent lymph nodes.

Jump to this post

Hi Beakmom, my brother was recently diagnosed with the same cancer but on the back of his tongue. He has now completed his chemotherapy and radiation therapy. He lost 15+pounds and was really struggling with dehydration during treatment and was given many saline infusions. He was told he’d have to do swallowing exercises for years to come. How long did it take to get your appetite back and to start feeling better and swallowing without pain.

@danieljamescancer

Hi Beakmom, my brother was recently diagnosed with the same cancer but on the back of his tongue. He has now completed his chemotherapy and radiation therapy. He lost 15+pounds and was really struggling with dehydration during treatment and was given many saline infusions. He was told he’d have to do swallowing exercises for years to come. How long did it take to get your appetite back and to start feeling better and swallowing without pain.

Jump to this post

Recovery can be quite slow - took my brother in law almost 6 weeks from last radiation treatment. Used Ensure milk shakes to gain weight and avoid painful swallowing - 3 months to get his taste back. Stay tough - the worst part is over and just focus on the recovery now! C

I'm 5 years out and am happy to say that I'm feeling great. But it took what seemed like a century to recover, both physically and mentally. Throughout treatment, I used Ensure & Boost and had a PEG tube, so although I lost about 35 pounds, I stayed hydrated and somewhat okay nutritionally. I did all of the jaw and swallowing exercises religiously and, today, have no problems whatsoever except an inability to eat a few foods (anything very dry).

Please sign in or register to post a reply.