Skip to Content

looking for support for my sister's family

Posted by Oriole @oanhbui, Jul 12, 2017

Hello there,
My name is Oanh Bui and I am writing to ask if you are aware of any resources to support my brother-in-law who just got the diagnosis of squamus cell carcinoma cancer stage 4A. He lives in GA and will receive a surgery to remove tumor on 7/21, then follow up with chemotherapy and also radiation. However, my sister and my brother-in-law does not have any network of support nor knowing how the system works. I am from Boston and can only spend a week with them trying to navigate the system of support here but hardly able to locate any. Have been contacting the social worker at Emory but not able to locate much.
Wonder if you know of any resources in the GA area that can support my sister with transportation, accomodation, cooking and parenting a bit. She needs emotional support to keep her strong to deal with the treatment for her husband and support him to get through the unbearable pain on daily basis.She needs local support prior to the surgery, during the inpatient care and also post surgery. There is so much to worry about and I don't know where to start. i am trying to see if I can work with the cancer team for a care plan but at this time, they can't even do anything until my brother is referred to the oncology department as he will be cared for the team at ENT Department prior to the oncology Department. i am so torn.
Any resources and any basic guidelines to support my sister and my brother in law will be greatly appreciative.
Oanh Bui

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head and Neck Cancers group.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.