Skip to Content

Long term open wound

Posted by Kevin @wojahns, Apr 23, 2018

After multiple radiation sessions following multiple chemo treatments my wife’s neck has an open wound under her ear. It is about the size of a half-dollar. She’s had it for about two years so far and it is getting marginally better under treatments with Santyl ointment and occasional Medihoney. The wound center recommended Epifix but it is only approved for diabetes and leg wounds. She is in the ‘chemo forever’ thread, and has been battling seven successful years. She has a small tumor in her head under the wound that is staying the same size under the cancer chemo (Taxol and Erbitux). Operating is not recommended since the cancer has spread three times before and been beaten back but trashed her skin after maxed out radiation treatments. She was also weakened by a blown carotid artery leading to a skin flap operation nearby this wound over previous trashed radiated skin. Her quality of life is good though as she planted geraniums this year in our yard (a first for at least five years). Because of her still weakened state further operations aren’t recommended. She was previously in Opdivo and another PD-L1 study which dramatically shrunk her tumors in this location leaving the wound site. The cancer came back again but then went mostly away under the current chemo. Since it is working other options at this time are not on the table yet, although I was considering a second opinion at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (her Opdivo study docs) or MD Anderson, where she was seen before Seattle. Both a flight away though since I’m in Idaho.
Do you have any advice on the wound?
Also is a second opinion worth the trouble now, or should I wait until time the treatment stops working?
Another choice would be to see one of these center’s wound clinic and also get a second opinion at the same time, which is where I’m leaning.
Thanks for your thoughts. Cancer has only spread from throat to nearby lymph nodes to parotid area to current inside under the ear canal.
Pictures are Mar 18, Sep 17, May 17, and Apr 17.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head and Neck Cancers group.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.