Skip to Content

Increasing my appetite

Posted by willieb @willieb, Sep 5, 2017

Since my larynectomy I've lost my sense of taste and smell and find it hard to find things I like to eat. Anything anyone has tried to increase your appetite?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head and Neck Cancers group.

A muscle milk milkshake worked for me. To make combine following and blend-one 11oz container of Muscle Milk or Premier Protein, 1/2 avacado, small scoop of frozen yogurt (low fat),1/3 cup of milk. Enjoy

I have been without my feeding tube for 6 months now and am able to eat most foods now even though many still taste like cardboard. You get used to it and I simply eat from memory of how it used to taste. I still have trouble with most meats and must always have a beverage when eating in order to swallow most foods. I believe that you need to keep trying everything because what you can tolerate changes with time.

@jscprop

I have been without my feeding tube for 6 months now and am able to eat most foods now even though many still taste like cardboard. You get used to it and I simply eat from memory of how it used to taste. I still have trouble with most meats and must always have a beverage when eating in order to swallow most foods. I believe that you need to keep trying everything because what you can tolerate changes with time.

Jump to this post

I'm gaining weight and have had to start watching it. I can't do meets or bread but I can put just about anything in my nutribullet. Today for the game it's pizza with little distilled water. 

Tom Heinmiller 

Please sign in or register to post a reply.