Skip to Content

I have radiation sores starting again now 2015 six years after my [...]

Posted by Lucy Loo @judithchurco, Jul 29, 2015

I have radiation sores starting again now 2015 six years after my completing re-fractionated radiation which was 2009. My first being in 2002 of radiation once a day for six weeks. Both for cancer of the tongue.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head and Neck Cancers group.

Hi @judithchurco, I have talked to your doctors about it? Is this a common long term side effect after radiation of the mouth?

Head and neck radiators.......Yep, it's the gift that keeps on giving.  15 radiations wouldn't be so bad, right?  Wrong.  After having pretty good taste buds and a neat singing voice for 6 years,  radiation knocked both out of the realm of what was me.  I'm not griping, honest.  I'm here.  That's an ok trade off.  What is bothersome is that my lips peel almost all the time.  I feel like a lizard relative.  I carry a paper towel so as not to scare the people.  🙂  a sense of humor is a must for everyone, but especially cancer patients. This site has been such a good support place for so many people.  <br />
Please accept my heartfelt thanks and also support for all the crap we put up with to survive.  The hair grew back after neck radiation and of course this is a plus.  I had super curly hair after three chemos but the curl went away (I had curly hair since birth)  This humbling trek through cancer was a powerful teacher.  Everything that was really important before diagnosis isn't really so important after all.  <br />
You know how everyone is always saying it could be worse?  It was.  My beautiful, funny wonderful 45 year old daughter succumbed to Lupus in Dec. of 2014.  Realizing I could get over cancer was a blessing.  Knowing I'll never heal from losing a child is the pits.  <br />
Find something to smile about.  It's out there.  Blessed Be.   <br />
<br />
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results" <br />
(Albert Einstein)

Head & neck cancer sorry to say but the radiation treatment will be with you pretty much the rest of your life. It all improves to a point, then you go on living with many changes that will not be comfortable.
jurassicmedic put it very well, the gift that keeps on giving. You just started a journey, a very long journey to places you have yet to experience. Research life after treatment. Prayers go with you.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.