Skip to Content

Throat cancer: chemo, radiation, surgery. Stroke and blood clot

Posted by Fourlaffs @fourlaffs, Jan 9, 2016

I had throat cancer twice, Dec 2013 and Dec 2014. First treatment plan was chemo x 5 and radiation x 35. Second treatment was a radical neck dissection. On Dec 23 2015 I had a stroke. I'm baffled by this. I'm healthy, weight is 133 LBS, eat clean, workout daily for 90 minutes minimum. I teach fitness on the side from my full time job. I had a blood clot in the brain. Could this be related to my previous bouts with cancer? Has this occurred to anyone else? I just turned 50. I don't fit the scrip for a stroke. Thank you Sheilah

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head and Neck Cancers group.

The stroke is probably unrelated to the cancer although individuals withe cancer are at higher risk of certain kinds of strokes than others. Strokes can occur either from bleeding into the brain or from a clot of a blood vessel in the brain. People with cancer are at a higher risk of having clots than normal. Do you know if your stroke was from a clot or a bleed? What does your doctor think?
C

Thanks for the response Charles. It was a def. clot. They believe it was a left Ischemic MCA stroke. I've had a number of PFO tests all are negative.

@charles

The stroke is probably unrelated to the cancer although individuals withe cancer are at higher risk of certain kinds of strokes than others. Strokes can occur either from bleeding into the brain or from a clot of a blood vessel in the brain. People with cancer are at a higher risk of having clots than normal. Do you know if your stroke was from a clot or a bleed? What does your doctor think?
C

Jump to this post

HI; I have thyroid cancere with mets to several bones and my liver. I had a embolic stroke in May this year ands no answers about what caused it. I may have atrial fibrillation from being on a suppressive dose of Synthroid-so now I am considered to be hyperthyroid and that increases the risk of a stroke. I was on Plavix before my stroke and also a statin drug. When I was hospitalized my roommate had a stroke the same day as me-the interesting thing IS SHE HAS RECTAL CANCER and had many treatments for her cancer.<br />
<br />
Sent from Mail for Windows 10<br />
<br />

Thank you Chattycathy47 for sharing your experience. I've done some research it appears we ARE higher risk for strokes having cancer and radiation. Head and Neck has higher numbers. I'm going to see my Rad. Oncologist today and will speak with them further. I'm still recovering thank god, my stroke was treated immediately. I'm suffering with intense fatigue, listening to my body and resting to heal. I'm taking pradaxa and lipitor. I should be off both meds by Feb. but on baby aspirins for life. Worried about pradaxa I seen a class action suit filed. 🙁 Will update y'all once I return from my appointment today. Sheilah

I saw the Rad Oncologist, he did feel the stroke was directly related to the amount of radiation and the location. He felt it did restrict the vessels. I go back for another MRI on Thursday and a follow up consult in a week.

Did not know this thanks for sharing - Are there any precautions we can take?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.