Skip to Content

Hello Everyone. I have been diagnosed with stage 4A Tonsillar Cancer (squamous [...]

Posted by Seth @ponderit, Apr 25, 2015

Hello Everyone. I have been diagnosed with stage 4A Tonsillar Cancer (squamous cell carcinoma with basaloid features). I have a swollen lymph node with it. I asked both my radio oncologist and my ENT what basaloid features were and the both answered the same way. They dont know! I have read and if anyone can correct me I would appreciate it. What I read said was that basaloid cells are more aggressive and usually overtake the squamous cells. I am anxiously waiting for my pet scan on Monday when I also get my port for the chemo. I have to schedule a feeding tube as well as the radiation will not allow me to eat for a while. My family has all disappeared and I have a partner (husband) who seems not to have a clue and refuses to believe anything but what the reality is. I keep reading 5 year survival rates for other cancers but when they talk about tonsillar they go down to 3 year survival rates. According to the CDC only 50% are alive after 5 years. My major problem is that I am also HIV+. Which the chemo will destroy my immune system and will be open to any opportunistic infections. I am scared and tired of fighting to live this life. Am I just better off refusing therapy and just enjoy life while I still have it?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head and Neck Cancers group.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.