Skip to Content

Hello All, I'm a 47 year old female, in the best physical [...]

Posted by Fourlaffs @fourlaffs, Feb 26, 2014

Hello All,

I'm a 47 year old female, in the best physical shape in my life. It wasn't always that way. I've worked hard and lost 162lbs naturally, I workout daily, eat clean, I do not smoke, take drugs, and drink occasionally.

On Feb 20th 2013, my life forever changed. I was diagnosed with stage 4 hpv squamous cell carcinoma head neck. The tumour was on the base of my tongue. It grew quickly and rapidly. I had 35 rounds of radiation and 3 rounds of cisplatin chemo. I finished treatment in June and went back to work in Sept, 2013 but notice I was struggling, I can't put my finger on why, I just wasn't feeling myself.

In Dec-Jan 2014 I was really in a bad place, no matter how hard I pushed myself I was just feeling off. I kept telling all of my medical team I felt a lump in the side of my neck. Long story short. 1 year to the day, On Feb 20th 2014, I had a radical neck dissection. My cancer returned. I'm at a total loss, as to why? Is this normal? What's next? Has anyone out there had this happen to them? I'm finding it difficult to remain positive.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Head and Neck Cancers group.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.